The Board assesses all student teachers enrolled in an accredited teaching degree at the University of Tasmania against the good character and fitness to teach criteria for teacher registration as defined in the Teachers Registration Act 2000. This process is commonly referred to as a Student Good Character Determination (SGCD).
Only students deemed to be of good character and fit to be a teacher under this process are approved for “pre-registration”.
Pre-registration is required for student teachers to undertake the professional experience component of their degree in Tasmanian schools, colleges, and TasTAFE.
1. Create login
Establish an account with TRB Online.
2. Log in
Log in to your TRB Online account.
Apply for ‘New SGCD’.
Pay the $29 application fee (non-refundable).
5. Record RWVP
Add your Registration to Work with Vulnerable People (RWVP) number (or your RWVP application number if still in progress).
Provide proof of identity. See our fact sheets on proving your identity and certifying your evidence correctly.
Wait to receive your approval email (processing can take approximately 10 business days, but may take up to four weeks).
Your SGCD will be sent to the email address you provided in TRB Online.
NOTE: Have you lived outside of Australia as an adult, within the last ten years, for cumulative periods of twelve months or more? If yes, an international police history check (or its equivalent) is required from the country or countries you lived in or are currently living in. For more information, please email our Professional Conduct Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purpose of the SGCD process is to ensure that all University of Tasmania pre-service education students who intend to undertake professional experience in Tasmanian schools and education settings are of good character and fit to be teachers.
As the holder of an SGCD, you have a range of rights and responsibilities all of which are provided for under the Memorandum of Understanding between the University of Tasmania and the Teachers Registration Board of Tasmania.
As the holder of an SGCD, it is your right to:
- seek to undertake the professional experience component of the initial teacher education course specified on your SGCD in any/all education settings within Tasmania appropriate to the scope of your course and any requirements of the University or the specific education settings
- have your name placed on the list of current SGCD holders which is provided to the University Faculty of Education by the Board
- declare that you hold an SGCD and download and display your SGCD certificate.
As the holder of an SGCD, it is your responsibility to:
- ensure that you hold a current and valid SGCD before undertaking your professional experience in a Tasmanian school or educational setting
- ensure that, at all times, you satisfy a standard of behaviour generally expected of a teacher and that you are fit to be a teacher
- notify the Board immediately if you are charged with or convicted of an offence in Tasmania or anywhere else
- notify the Board immediately of any change in your name, address and/or other personal details
- notify the Board in writing if you withdraw from the initial teacher education course to which your SGCD applies.
Download your copy of the Rights and Responsibilities of Student Teachers.